English Name: Cardamom Green
Common Indian Name (Hindi): Hari Ilaichi
- Green Cardamom is one of the world's very ancient spices Known as "the Queen of Spices". Cardamoms are available in three kinds of pods – black, green and white.
- Green cardamom belongs to genus Elettaria of the ginger family Zingiberaceae.
- Green cardamom is smaller and softer than black cardamom. It gives a distinct sweet, pleasing and slightly lemon like flavor.
- Cardamom pods contain fragrant seeds, used throughout the world in both savory and sweet dish. The seeds are used as whole, ground or with pods.
- Many Indian meat, rice and dessert dishes use cardamom as one of the main spices. Cardamoms are also essential parts of spice mixtures such as Garam Masala.
- Beside India and south Asia, cardamom is also use in Scandinavian food such cakes, pastry, pickles and also used in Middle East.
- It is used as a stimulant, for indigestion and flatulence. Cardamom is also believed to aid digestion and act as a breath freshener.
- It is also sometimes considered to be an aphrodisiac in traditional systems of medicine.
- Green cardamom in South Asia is broadly used to treat infections in teeth and gums, to prevent and treat throat troubles, congestion of the lungs and pulmonary tuberculosis, inflammation of eyelids and also digestion disorders. It also is used to break up kidney stones and gall stones,and was reportedly used as an antidote for both snake and scorpion venom bite.