Common Indian Name (Hindi): Safed Mirch
- Peppercorn is a single seeded fruit of a flowering vine called Black pepper (Piper nigrum) from the family Piperaceae. It is used as a spice and seasoning after drying.
- White pepper is a variety of black pepper corn, which is essentially the seed of the plant obtained after the fruit, is removed. This is usually accomplished by process known as retting.White pepper is obtained by soaking the fully ripe berries in water for about 6-8 days. The flesh of the fruit softens and decomposes, which is further rubbed for getting the seed. The seed so obtained is dried and then used in the whole or grounded form.
- The spice derives its flavor from piperine compound. It can gain some different odors (including musty notes) from its longer fermentation stage.
- It is widely used for its aroma and flavor in various cuisines and also for food preservation.
- White pepper has been used in traditional medicinal systems including Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani systems. It is used as an essential oil in aromatherapy and other methods