English Name: Banana
Common Indian Name (Hindi): Kela
- Banana is the common name for a type of fruit and the herbaceous plants of the genus Musa.
- Bananas are very rich in carbohydrates, vitamin C and several important minerals, including potassium, copper, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
- Banana strengthens the stomach lining against ulcers and acid and it is also a fruit which is easily digested.
- The low glycemic index in unripe bananas is of particular benefit to people with diabetes.
- Bananas are said to encourage the production of serotonin in the brain, which happens to be a feel-good chemical. Eating bananas reportedly helps improve mood levels as they contain the chemical compound named bufotenine, which acts on the brain by increasing self-confidence and positivity.
- Pectin content, a hydrocolloid, can ease constipation by normalizing movement through the intestine. High fiber content may also contribute to this effect.
- By a high potassium to sodium content, bananas may prevent high blood pressure and its complications. High potassium may also prevent renal calcium loss, in effect preventing bone breakdown.
- In diarrhea, it contributes with electrolyte replacement, as well as increased absorption of nutrients.
- They feature Vitamin B6, reported to make it a perfect food for women with pre-menstrual symptoms.
- Fruit consumption in general decreases the risk of age related macular degeneration.
- Bananas are a tropical fruit; they may contain properties that are reported to help decrease stress levels and reduce blood cholesterol. Consuming bananas is considered to stabilize blood sugar levels.