English Name: Yogurt / Curd
Common Indian Name (Hindi): Dahi
- Yogurt/Curd is a dairy product produced by bacterial fermentation of milk.
- Dahi, is yoghurt of the Indian subcontinent, known for its characteristic taste and consistency. The word, Dahi, seems to be derived from Sanskrit word Dadhi. Dahi is also known as Thayiru (Malyalam), doi (Assamese, Bengali), dohi (Oriya), perugu (Telugu).
- It is nutritionally rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.
- People who are moderately lactose-intolerant can enjoy yoghurt without ill effects, because the lactose in the milk precursor is converted to lactic acid by the bacterial culture. The reduction of lactose bypasses the affected individuals' need to process the milk sugar themselves.
- Yoghurt also has medical uses, in particular for a variety of gastrointestinal conditions, and in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea.