These Badiyan are made of Urad Dal (Black Gram). These are also known as Masale Wali Badiyan because lots of spices are mixed in urad dal to make these.
Badiyan are available in Indian Grocery Stores. These can be made at home also but they need good sun light for at least 2-3 days.
How to make Badiyan at home:
- 1 cup split and skinned black gram/Ivory white lentil (Dhuli urad ki dal)
- 1” Ginger piece
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- ¼ tsp of Asafetida
- 1tbsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- Soak urad dal overnight.
- Drain it and grind it with ginger and green chilies to a fine paste without adding water.
- Now add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a polythene sheet or a steel thali (plate).
- Pour 1 spoonful of the paste all over the sheet or thali and let it dry in the sun for a day or two.
- When dried store them in airtight jars.