English Name: Strawberry
Common Indian Name (Hindi): Strawberry
· Garden strawberries are a common variety of strawberry cultivated worldwide. It belongs to the family Rosaceae.
· Strawberry fruits are aggregates made up of several small fruits, each with one seed called an achene.
· Technically, it is not a true fruit but a false fruit, meaning the fleshy part is derived not from the plant's ovaries but from the peg at the bottom of the bowl-shaped hypanthium (non reproductive part) that holds the ovaries.
· Strawberries not only provide flavor to food but are also good for us.They are rich in vitamin C which is a water soluble antioxidant.
· Strawberries are low in sugar (lowest among the top-selling fruits like apple, banana etc.) They are low in calories (Only about 45 calories in 8 medium sized strawberries).
· Strawberries contain folic acid (also known as Vitamin B9). Folic acid or folate is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells.
· Strawberries provide dietary fibres.
· They contain large amounts of potassium, which is said to be vital for maintaining healthy cells and is reported to reduce high blood pressure.
· Strawberries feature flavonoids, said to help combat cancer.