Common Indian Name (Hindi): Khajoor
- Dates are the sweet fruits of Palm tree (
Phoenixdactylifera) which is commonly known as the Date Palm, in the genus . The fruit is a drupe. Phoenix
- Dates contain 3 times the amount of potassium in comparison to bananas and they also have high amounts of magnesium, iron and Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3. They are enriched in fiber and are fairly low in calories. Eating dates is said to provide vast amounts of energy.
- Dates have high tannin content and are used medicinally as a detersive (having cleansing power) and astringent in intestinal troubles.
- One traditional belief is that it can counteract alcohol intoxication. The seed powder is also used in some traditional medicines.
- A gum that exudes from the wounded trunk is employed in
for treating diarrhea and genito-urinary ailments. The roots are used against toothache. India