English Name : Beetroot
Common Indian Name (Hindi): Chukandar
- The garden beet (Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris var. vulgaris), is also known as the table beet, beetroot, red beet or simply as beet.
- It is rich in the nutrient betaine, which is important for cardiovascular health.
- Beetroot contains a mixture of different minerals and phytochemicals, that are thought to help prevent infections, raise cellular intake of oxygen and treat disorders of blood, liver and the immunity system.
- It is reported that consuming beetroot improves the speed and efficiency at which cells take in oxygen and excrete waste products. The properties contained in beetroot are believed to help in promoting tissue regeneration as well.
- Beetroot is said to help stabilize the body’s acid and alkaline balance.
- Beetroot features properties, which reportedly help treat skin problems, liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. However, it has been recommended not to eat too much beetroot if one suffers from kidney stones or arthritis, as it is high in oxalates.